Saturday, September 18, 2010

What to do with tofu?

I go through phases with tofu...I've been in an "out" phase for several years, but maybe it's time to bring it back!  (Kristin - this is for you.) Here's my thought on tofu: it has no flavor so you can make it taste like anything you want! 

I thought of a savory option and and sweet option so that you can take your pick.
  • Savory:  Salad topper - drain tofu*, pat dry w/ paper towel,cut tofu into bite-sized pieces, heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, saute minced garlic (and/or finely chopped onions), stir, let tofu brown; add a tsp or 2 of soy sauce and a dash of pepper - Enjoy as a new addition to any salad or steamed veggie!
  • Sweet:  Pumpkin Cheescake Torte  - I got this recipe from my friend Shannon in Alaska. It's been that long since I've tasted it..but obviously it was memorable!  (I think I would substitute fat-free cream cheese for the "soy" cream cheese that it calls for....I also wouldn't worry about the fact that it calls for "soft" tofu if you have firm...you might just add a splash of milk if the batter isn't pourable when it's time to add it to the crust).
Let me know if you make the torte and how it turns out! With us on the verge of fall...I think it's the perfect time to use pumpkin recipes!
*Once the tofu package is open, leftover tofu should be rinsed and covered with fresh water for storage. Change the water daily to keep it fresh, and use the tofu within a week.

2 comments:

  1. Hello friend with a new blog! My favorite tofu recipe (not that you asked) is Peanut Sesame Noodles: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/04/peanut-sesame-noodles/. Keep up the posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! Are you kidding me? I love new recipes; thank you for sharing. Also, I recently went though and "organized" my millions of printed off recipes from all sorts of websites and emails, etc...and came across two of yours - one for spaghetti using spaghetti squash and then other for lettuce wraps. I remember trying the spaghetti squash idea, but I need to try the other!

    ReplyDelete