Sunday, November 7, 2010

what now?

I am overwhelmed with the sense that life is bigger, harder, more complicated, so much more than I usually choose to acknowledge or know how to comprehend. 
  • My dear friend from college is aching as she experiences, moment by moment, her mom's fight with cancer...Today her mom wrote, "I am battling whether to hope for a miracle or accept the fate that seems to become mine - and not fight that I most likely will be going home to the Lord Jesus soon." {Pray with me for Joyce!...I am asking that God's will be done as He is the ultimate giver of life and cares for her more than I can comprehend...and He knows that my heart aches for her to be healed on this side of heaven.}
  • I jumped into a ministry called the Apparent Project by agreeing to host a jewelry party of sorts. It's been phenomenal! Over $850 dollars of jewelry has been purchased by my friends, co-workers, and family. I am overwhelmed with the sense that God could use me/us to impact the lives of those in Haiti. I am thrilled that the amount sold at the party can provide food for 16.6 families for 2 weeks...and yet devastated that I can't do more. The employment rate in Haiti is 11%...how often do I get discouraged/disgruntled with my job? I use coupons and love when someone my size cleans out their closet and passes on clothes. At times I peek across the financial fence into someone else's life and notice that their grass looks oftly green. Yet, I have food to eat (3 meals plus snacks throughout every day); I have a house (toilet flushes, clean water comes out of the faucet...and we have so much space...even though I can think of hundreds of things I could do with an extra room and a bigger kitchen). I'm in awe that Hurricane Tomas seems to have dodged the capital city as all forecasting reports described complete devastation to the tent camps. Praise God!
In the wake of these thoughts I struggle with what to do...How can I encourage my friend from afar? What words do I say to God as I pray for her family and her mom? How can I use the influence that I have or the gifts that God gave me to impact those friends that are dear to my heart as well as those in Haiti who I have not met.  What now?

1 comment:

  1. Sweetheart, what a great time for you to experience God in a new and fantastic way! God is not unaware of how often and deeply we suffer in this life. God is also not unaware that we are incapable of glorifying Him in our service. He gives us the desires to help and love and care for other people - especially those who cannot do it for themselves. Remember this (as I know you do), when our problems and concerns seem bigger than what we can handle that is when we have to magnify God and allow Him to deal with it as our problems and concerns shrink in His presence! I love you and I am here to help!

    ReplyDelete