Sunday, January 16, 2011

just like a pull back toy...

...I get wound up and excited about something and head full speed in that direction.  Today, I was struck with just how similar I am to those fun little cars that you rev the engine by pulling it back a few times...and then as soon as you release it - that's when the magic happens.  It either speeds across the floor seamlessly or, more often than not, starts out strong until it hits a chair leg or another obstacle in the room.

And so I asked God to help guide me in my endeavors...because I know I can be a powerful agent that can get lots accomplished or, if pointed in the wrong direction, can plow right through a lot of things...wasting energy on something God never called me to.  This is the scripture that came immediately to mind and so I felt that this was God's response to me:
 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
   and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
   and he will make your paths straight. (Prov. 3:5-6)
When I thought about God making my path straight, I pictured a path that was clear from chair legs and me zooming along quite quickly.  This was a great reminder that when I choose NOT to trust God and don't check-in with Him or disobey what He tells me to do...I can just plan on running into something that slows my zippy self down and might even hurt a little - something God never intended for me to hit. 

And so as I buckle my life's seat belt, I sing to myself, "O for grace to trust Him more!" ...and then my own caveat ..."and the patience to remain calm before plowing full speed ahead without the thumbs up from God."

3 comments:

  1. well, girl, you're not the only one.
    And it's a great analogy. My car is slowin' down a bit now (maybe overwound?) and I'm seeing the dangers on the side of the path clearer than before.
    Love those verses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Wendy! Good to reconnect with you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to need to see an update on your blog soon! :)

    ReplyDelete